This list is compiled from a large number of sources, the main one being
this newsgroup (ASH). I have not named anyone in any of the entries to
ensure their privacy.
Calle: I, on the other hand, will name sources if (and only if) the
sources give me permission.
There may be inaccuracies in many of the entries... double check if you can.
Go to the library and read up on your favorite method - check dosages in the
manufacturer's data sheets. If you do notice any inaccuracies, please
write to the net ASAP.
This file is provided for the purposes of amusement, and the actual use of
any of these methods is not recommended without first considering other
possibilities, such as dying of old age. Please do not pass it onto people
whom you know to be actively suicidal.. you may find yourself in jail for
considerable periods. I have a small amount of info on British law regarding
assisting suicides; feel free to ask me for a copy. Basically, distribution
to a number of unknown people is fine, but giving it to someone whom you
know is actively considering suicide can get you into jail for up to 14
I should also point out that this file is distributed world-wide, and there
will be significant differences in the legal aspects in other
Calle: For example, in Sweden the distribution of this file is
completely legal, according to a lawyer I know. As long as
you don't physically help someone to commit suicide, you're
safe. According to the lawyer mentioned above, Dr.
Kevorkian's suicide machine would probably be legal in
Bibliography and sources
This booklist is an extended list from . I strongly recommend , try
getting it mail order from the address below.
- "Final Exit: The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide
for the Dying" Derek Humphry (publisher: Hemlock)
- alt.suicide.holiday newsgroup on "usenet"
- alt.med newsgroup on "usenet"
- "Poisonous Plants and Fungi: an Illustrated Guide" (Ministry of
Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods) M R Cooper, A W Johnson
- "Encyclopedia of Human Biology"
- "Let Me Die Before I Wake" Derek Humphry
- "Suicide, Mode d'Emploi" Claude Guillon, Yves Le Bonniec
- "Zorg jij dak ik niet meer wakker word?" Klazien Sybrandy, Rob Bakker
- "How To Die With Dignity" George B Mair, EXIT (Scottish)
- "A Guide To Self-Deliverance" EXIT (Britain)
- "Autodeliverance" Michel L Landa
- "Justifiable Euthanasia" Pieter V Admiraal
- "First You Cry" Betty Rollin
- "Last Wish" Betty Rollin
- "Death of a Man" Lael Wertenberger
- "Jean's Way" Derek Humphry
- "The Savage God: A Study of Suicide" A Alvarez
- "Double Exit" Ann Wickett
- "Voluntary Euthanasia: A Comprehensive Bibliography" G Johnson (Hemlock)
- "The Woman Said Yes" Jessamyn West
- "The Bell Jar" Sylvia Plath
- "Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products" Williams & Wilkins Company
- "Suicide: The Gamble with Death" Gene & David Lester
- "Crisis Intervention in the Community" Richard K McGee
- "Wanting to Die" Anne Sexton
- "Bitter Fame" (bio about) Sylvia Plath (author is) Anne Stevenson
- "Letters Home" (bio about) Sylvia Plath (author is) Aurelia S Plath
- "Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones & his People" Dutton
- "Essays in Self-Destruction" (ed) Edwin S Shneidman
- "Suicide: A Study in Sociology" Emile Durkheim
- "Suicide and Attempted Suicide" Erwin Stengel
- "Endangered Hope: Experiences in Psychiatric Aftercare Facilities" David K
Reynolds, Norman L Farberow
- "Death Wishes? The Understanding & Managment of Deliberate Self Harm"
H G Morgan
- "The Final Months: a Study of the Lives of 134 Persons who Committed
Suicide" Eli Robins
- "Suicide: Inside and Out" David K Reynolds, Normal L Farberow
- "Attempted Suicide: A Practical Guide to its Nature and Management" Keith
Hawton, Jose Catalan
- "The Negative Scream: A Story of Young People Who Took an Overdose" Sally
- "Caring for the Suicidal" John Eldrid
- "The Samaritans: to help those tempted to suicide or despair" Chad Varah
- "Mishima: A Biography" John Nathan
- "Self-Mutilation: Theory, Research, and Treatment" Barent W Walsh, Paul M
- "Defeating Depression: a Guide for Depressed People and Their Familes"
C A H Watts
- "Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison" Dorothy Rowe
- "The Oxford Book of Death" D J Enright
Calle: Not used in the creation of this file, but recommended on
the newsgroup was:
"The Enigma Of Suicide" by George Howe Colt
The National Hemlock Society
PO Box 11830
Eugene, OR 97440-3900
[American, pro-euthanasia, many books, D Humphry is founder]
[British, suicide hotlines and prevention, Chad Varah is founder.
[International, suicide prevention,
The Voluntary Euthanasia Society
(Formerly British EXIT)
Association pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignite
Deutsche Gesellschaft Fur Humanes Sterben
Club of Life